Have a big vacation planned this summer? Don’t forget to protect your home before you leave. A little preparation will give you peace at your mind, so you can enjoy your vacation without worrying about what might be happening at home. Here are a few things to do before leaving your home for a period of time:
- Stop the Mail – A pile of mail on the doorstop, or envelopes pouring out your mailbox is an automatic assumption that no one’s home. If you’ll be gone for more than a couple of days, go to the post office or fill out the online form to put a hold on your mail.
- Create the Illusion of Someone Being Home – You can always set your lights on a timer or even your television to create the illusion that someone is home. Also, it would be a smart idea to leave a car in the driveway. If Possible arrange for someone to mow your lawn once a week.
- Be Cautious Of Social Media – Don’t announce your departure or vacation dates on social media. You don’t want the world to know that you have left on vacation. Play it safe and don’t mention your trip on social media until you are back.
- Disconnect Power – Unplug all necessary appliances to protect your home from an electrical fire or power surge. This includes items like TVs, toaster, coffee maker, and other small appliances.
- Trust a Friend or Neighbor– Give your vacation contact information and a spare key to at least on friend or neighbor. That way, they’ll know how to get a hold of you in case of an emergency.
- Keep valuables Safe – Lock up or hide jewelry, and other important papers or information in a safe.
- Alert Alarm Company – If you have a security system, notify the company that you will be away. Also don’t forget to properly set your alarm before you leave!
- Notify Police Department– If available, request a vacation check with your local police department if you going on vacation for longer than a week. They can do a vacation house check that will provide extra patrol in your neighborhood.
Take these basic safety precautions this summer while on vacation. You’ll be ready for your trip in no time!Continue Reading